Columbia City Ballet – An Introduction
Columbia City Ballet offers Southeastern audiences the highest quality ballet and provides dancers with some of the finest professional dance training.
Artistic & Executive Director William Starrett has transformed it into a professional company with 21 paid dancers and more than 2,000 season members. Under the leadership of Starrett, Columbia City Ballet produces what critics have described as “some of the highest quality cultural entertainment in the Southeast.” The ballet attracts not only audiences from all over the region that are eager to attend performances, but also quality artists from all over the country and the world eager to be a part of such an accomplished ballet company. South Carolina claims one of the strongest, most versatile ballet companies in the region and country.
Since Columbia City Ballet’s founding in 1961, it has integrated the world of dance within the lives of Columbians. In that era, the Ballet was a community dance group staging only two performances a year. Columbia City Ballet has increased its total number of major performances to more than 80 per year, reaching more than 51,000 people in a season.
Columbia City Ballet’s mission is to bring new levels of excellence to ballet – both on and off stage. We will accomplish this through processes that are inclusive in scope, educational, and creative.
Through this mission, we will significantly advance ballet as an art form and enrich the cultural life of our community while providing artistic excellence, exhilarating performances, innovative choreography, and superb educational programs.
- Inclusive through making ballet accessible and meaningful to increasing segments of our community by:
- Expanding ballet’s relevance to the community by presenting works that reflect timeless emotions and current topical concerns.
- Demonstration of our strong commitment to diversity among our audience, artists, and staff.
- Including our traditional audience while working to develop new audiences.
- Educational through dedication to the ongoing enrichment and development of all our constituencies by:
- Illumination of the technical and artistic elements of dance, music, and the related theater arts.
- Developing new generations of artists while expanding the development of current professional dancers and staff members.
- Relating the dance legacy of the past to today’s contemporary works.
- Creative through the development of new works and interpretation of the art of ballet while preserving the extensive legacy of the art. We will accomplish this by:
- Examining and presenting the art form in new ways while honoring what has come before.
- Creating new works and allowing new choreographic voices to speak.
- Fostering and promoting individual expression in all people participating in the organization.
Board Of Directors 2020-2021
Jackie Vose – Managing Director, Customer Experience, Greenwich Associates, LLC
C. Adair Bledsoe, Jr. Esq. – Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough
Shannon Eichelberger – Auditor, AG First Bank
Shelley Canright – NASA Sr Advisory for Education, Retired
Artistic and Executive Director
William Starrett – Artistic and Executive Director, CCB
Directors Circle President
Emily Welsh –Personal Trainer – The Firm
Advisor to Board President
Dr. Gail Morrison* –Deputy Director, SC Commission on Higher Education, Retired
Megan Pinckney* –Self Employed Consultant
Jared D. Smith* – Attorney at Law Offices of Jared Smith
Doug Bailey – Senior Tax Manager USC
Joy Bryant – Director of Sales, Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbia
Marvin Chernoff, Lifetime Member
Robert DeBerry – Columbia City Ballet CFO and Administrative Director
Joyce Martin-Hill – Philanthropist; Community Activist; Owner, Farewell Farms
Bruce Johnson –President and CEO, Johnson’s Garbage Service
Robert Livingston –President of Gregory Electric, Adjutant General for State of South Carolina
Jennifer McKellar – Assistance Solicitor, Fifth Judicial Circuit of South Carolina
Greg Middleton –Controller, Agape Senior
Victor Montgomery – Retired NYPD
Suzanne Pucci – Preside/CEO Pucci Enterprises, LLC DBA Stanley Steemer of Columbia
Cristina Segarra – Owner of Flowers Forever
Matt Shaffer- Vice President Blue Cross Blue Shield
Fred Sheheen, Lifetime Member
Stephen Shroyer –President and CEO of Advanced Diagnostics and Heartfelt Hospice
Bud Tibshrany, Lifetime Member –Retired Executive, Time Warner Cable South Carolina
Jennifer Trogdon – About You Advanced Skin Care and Laser Center